Surrogacy is a complex but rewarding journey. Gain confidence and clarity by exploring the following key aspects: What is surrogacy?
1. Understanding Surrogacy:
Two Types: Gestational and Traditional Surrogacy:
- A Gestational Carrier or Surrogate is not genetically related to the child she carries.
- A Traditional Surrogate achieves pregnancy through IVF with her eggs and intended father’s sperm or donor sperm.
Learn more about surrogacy on the Fertility Café podcast: Episode 2 | Surrogacy 101: When It Takes a Village to Start a Family.
2. Reasons for Choosing Surrogacy:
- Infertility Struggles
- Inability to Carry a Child
- Genetic Defects or Health Conditions
- Same-Sex Parenting
3. Legal Landscape of Surrogacy:
- State-by-State Variations
- Types of Surrogacy Legalities
- Rights of Intended Parents
- Average U.S. Surrogacy Cost: $110,000 – $200,000
- Agency Management, Legal, Medical, and Other Fees
- Financing Options and Fertility Financing
- Surrogacy Agency Management Fees – $30,000 – $60,000
- Legal Fees – $7,000 – $12,000
- Medical Screening, Medications & Embryo Transfer – $8,000 – $15,000
- Surrogate Prenatal and Delivery Care – $12,000 – $28,000
- Other (travel, monitoring, other insurance, etc.) – $2,500 – $4,800
As every surrogacy journey is unique and the cost of surrogacy differs based on many factors, it’s best to book a consultation with Family Inceptions Surrogacy Agency to get all the details.
Thinking about foregoing the surrogacy agency and doing an independent surrogacy journey? We recommend enrolling in a DIY online surrogacy course to learn the ins and outs of surrogacy, including the costs, finding the right surrogate, and to the legal elements to secure your legal parentage in the United States. Download it here: Surrogacy Roadmap
Read more about the cost of surrogacy on our blog: 12 Ways You Can Save Money on Surrogacy
5. Tax Implications of Surrogacy:
- Tax Deductions for IVF and Surrogacy. Read more about surrogacy and tax deductions on our blog: Can I Deduct Surrogacy Expenses?
- Understanding Surrogacy Expenses and Tax Benefits: Listen to an expert in the financial side of surrogacy discuss taxes and escrow on Fertility Cafe Podcast – Episode 6 | Family Building Financials
6. Insurance Coverage:
- Navigating Fertility Treatment Coverage
- Surrogacy and Health Insurance Considerations: Read more about surrogacy and insurance on our blog: Surrogacy and Health Insurance 101 for Intended Parents
- General Duration: 15-18 Months
- Additional Time for Donor Processes
8. Choosing Between Agency and Independent Surrogacy:
- Pros and Cons of Agency Matching
- Considerations for Independent Surrogacy
9. Becoming a Surrogate:
- Qualifications and Requirements. Please visit this page for more information.
- Wondering if being a surrogate is right for you? Find out your Surrogate Score now and see how to run among other women looking to start their surrogacy journeys: TAKE THE QUIZ linked here.
- The Application Process and Screening: Please consider the information on this page.
- Compensation: Up to $65,000: please review this page for more information.
10. Fertility Café Podcast:
- A Resource for In-Depth Discussions.
- Topics Covering Third-Party Reproduction and Surrogacy.
11. Insurance for Surrogates:
- Importance of Medical Insurance.
- Addressing Exclusions and Coverage Gaps.
12. Surrogate Compensation and Taxes:
- Understanding Taxable Income.
- Reporting and 1099-MISC Forms.
13. Finding Surrogacy Agencies:
- Geographic Popularity: States with Active Surrogacy.
- Family Inceptions’ Approach to Surrogacy.
14. Fertility Journey Duration:
- Realistic Expectations: 15-18 Months.
- Patience and Preparation for the Surrogacy Process.
15. Surrogacy FAQs:
- Essential Questions Answered.
- Seeking Informed Decision-Making.
Explore More on the Fertility Café Podcast:
- Episodes Covering Surrogacy 101 and Beyond.
- Expert Insights and Candid Conversations.
Embark on your surrogacy journey with confidence and informed decision-making. Dive into the comprehensive resources provided by Surrogacy Roadmap, your guide to a successful path to parenthood.
Listen to the Fertility Café podcast now: https://thefertilitycafe.com/.